Monday, September 14, 2009

A Trip Through Time and Space

Emphasis on "trip."

I finally sat down and started watching the Mighty Boosh.  I hesitate to say that I understand the show now; let's say I'm now able to differentiate between the things I should understand, and the things that have no understanding. 

The show is about two friends, Howard Moon and Vincent Noir, who work at the "Zooniverse," a crap-tastic, underfunded, badly run zoo.  Shenanigans ensue.  No, really.  In the first episode, Howard Moon is black mailed by his boss, Bob Fossil, to fight a kangaroo.  Noir convinces him that he can train Howard before the fight, which is less than 2 days away.  They buy horrible training suits, those nasty vinyl, speed suit type atrocities.  There's a scene where Noir is showing Moon tapes of previous kangaroo fights, with words like "disembowelment" and "eat off a man's face" but I couldn't quite focus on what was being said.  The scene is set up so it your looking at Moon and Noir from the back of the TV, and while the tapes are playing, the only thing you could really see is Howard Moon's distinct man-bags in the vinyl suit.  I deserve either an apology or breakfast, one of the two.

Noir gets help from their local mystic, Naboo, who blows special dust on Noir's face that sends him on a vision quest and....look, it's ridiculous.  Do you even believe me?  I wouldn't. 

Think of the show as if Family Guy musical numbers got mixed with Robot Chicken's randomness,  fourth wall jokes a la Chowder, and horribly trippy segments like Misadventures of Flapjack. But all live-action.  And British.

I'll mention again that you can catch The Mighty Boosh on Cartoon Network during their Adult Swim  time slots.  However, I suggest that you watch it unedited -- it's difficult enough to distinguish what should make sense anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails