Friday, August 20, 2010

Only Shop in the Villiage--An Unstaffed Telly Box


 

 You all should know by now how misty eyed I get when someone mentions the English countryside.  Of course, I'm sure if I was born in a small, rural, middle of nowhere town in England, I'd hate the place.  But the grass is always greener, as they say, so when I read this it makes me sigh and imagine bike rides with a wire basket and flower picking.  It's also half way through Friday on my side of the pond, so everywhere else is preferable.


Draughton, North Yorkshire's only shop closed last year, but the parish council bought an unused telly box and converted it to a small shop.  Customers call in their orders to Lewis Cooke, who owns a shop in the next town over, Skipton.  He delivers the goods daily, marking down the names on the items.

 It started out as a newspaper drop, but when that was going well, they decided to expand.  Customer pay by either credit card over the phone or dropping off a check (cheque, whathaveyou).  It's been two weeks and nothing has been stolen.

Then again, this is the town's police force.  Watch for the swans.

If you don't get this, you're out of the family.



[Daily Mail UK]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails